Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Passing of my friend, Tucker Hill

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of my dear friend, Tucker Hill.

I met Tucker in 2000 when I became a member of the Middle Street Gallery. Tucker was our label maker for the shows for all the years I was also a member. He never complained about the folks who could not seem to get their information to him in a timely manner, but he did throw a funny little reminder their way to "light a fire" under them, including myself. Tucker once told me that "Getting artists to work together is like wrangling cats".

Tucker was an exceptional artist, a printmaker who did the most incredible monoprints I have ever seen. But, more important, he was the epitome of the Southern Gentleman. There was no one I have ever met, who was more courteous, gentle and refined in spirit and deed. I never heard him utter a mean word about anyone. All the times I saw him at receptions with wine glass in hand, I often thought the glass should have been a mint julep.

Tucker was also one of the funniest men I have known. My husband is the funniest, but Tucker was definitely second when it came to a special brand of dry humour. I once jokingly complained to Tucker that his titles for his works were a bit like novels. His reply was, "Oh, I thought that was a short title and was thinking of adding more to them. I was trying to help you improve your reading skills a bit." And he did!

I can honestly say that my life has been enriched for having known Tucker. He will be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment