Sunday, December 2, 2012

Brand Name Snobbery

The very first thing I tell students taking my beginners class is, "Buy one brand and stick to it until you know what you are doing."  I explain to them that each manufacturer has different formulas for their colors.  So a Cadmium Red for one brand will be very different from another brand.  In the early days, I once started a landscape sky with Grumbacher's cerulean blue, but ran short of it and had to run out and purchase more.  OOOPS, no Grumbacher available, so I purcased some Brand X cerulean blue and home I went.  Those two blues were nothing alike, even though they had the same name and there was no way they were gonna match up.  Guess who had to repaint that entire sky?
As for workability, one was nice and oily and the other so dry and stiff, I wanted to make pottery with it. 
Now I am no snob  when it comes to buying art supplies, but I do have definite likes and dislikes.  I won't give anyone an endorsement in this blog, since they aren't paying me for an endorsement, but if you would like to know my favorites list, send me an e-mail and I will be happy to give you my list of faves.......also, the brands I won't touch.
OK, GO PAINT ALREADY!

No comments:

Post a Comment