Saturday, December 29, 2012

Stonewall Jackson Shrine

On our way to Williamsburg this year, we drove past the sign for the Stonewall Jackson Shrine for the 10th time.  This time, I took the turn that leads 3 miles back to what we thought would be a marble monument.  Much to our surprise, it was the actual building where he died after being hit by "friendly fire".  The building which contains many period furnishings,  was open to the public and a park ranger was on hand to tell us all about the building, the grounds and the history of this little shrine.  The ranger was an extraordinarily good historian and this was one of the highlights of our Christmas.  I am so sorry I waited so long to take that little side trip.  My new years resolution this year is going to be "I am going to be open to new experiences all the coming year", or "stop procrastinating!"

No comments:

Post a Comment