Monday, December 10, 2012

Color Notes - Indian Yellow

Again, a transparent color.  I had never used Indian Yellow until I took a portrait class at the Art League school a few years back.  To mix flesh tones, I had always used Cadmium Yellow and white with a touch of red.  The results were just ok.  I then learned to take a touch of Indian Yellow and mix it with white, place this on the canvas and then to come back and use a bit of Permanent Rose mixed into white, and lay that color on the canvas next to the yellow mix.  Blend gently and WOW, the flesh dances and is not muddied. 
FACT OR MYTH.  I don't recall where I heard this or who told me, but I am sure you have heard this same thing.  Indian Yellow is made from the urine of cows in India....thus the name Indian Yellow.  Then a year or so ago, I read that this could not be proven by a colorist researching colors for a book.  Can anyone out there definitely prove or disprove this bit of Myth?  Send me info if you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment