Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Importance of Thumbnails

Since attending the Illustration Master Class in Amherst Mass, a year ago (I am really ,sorry I missed it this year)I have been doing thumbnail sketches for new pieces.  I must admit that I often get lazy or maybe I get in a hurry and don't do the thumbnails.  All the instructors at the IMC, repeatedly drove home the point of doing those thumbnails before starting your piece.  They stressed the importance of working out problems before the drawing is started and finding that perfect, dynamic composition.

PERFECT EXAMPLE #1:  I am ready to begin another dragon painting, but I am procrastinating like crazy.  I have been thinking about this one for two weeks now.  I am even doing the dishes just to avoid starting the next illustration.  I have an idea for it in my head, but I know its a weak idea. I just can't come up with some idea I love.  Sooooooooo, this morning I went out onto the front porch with my usual cup of coffee.  I took my sketch book along and sat doing thumbnails for this next piece.  After doing about 10 little sketches, I NAILED it.  I came up with a combo of two that I liked and by blending them, I got (what I think is) a pretty decent composition.  I will work on the actual drawing phase today.
THANK YOU GREG MANCHESS AND REBECCA GUAY

No comments:

Post a Comment