Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Finishing up Jacket

I made great progress on the light blue shirt, deepening the details a bit more.  I will move on now and come back to it later to add more depth, detail and the buttons.  Really pushed myself to get that arm resting on the leg to a greater degree of complete.  I used Alizarin Crimson mixed into the Ivory Black to deepen the look of a dark velvety black.  Unfortunately, Ivory Black is such a flat color and then when it dries, it becomes even more flat and ugly.  I often will use any of the following transparent colors to liven up and make the Ivory Black richer looking; French Ultramarine Blue, Dioxazine Purple, Alizarin Crimson or Sap Green.  On some occasions, I will skip the Ivory Black totally and just mix my own black from those transparent colors.  Now, that's a beautiful black!
You can really see in this photo, the background scumbling I have done so that I could soften the jacket and hair edges.  And last but not least, the sofa was a yucky yellow/gold color and so I took a few blobs of colors left on my palette at the end of this session and just smeared them onto the canvas.  Did I mention, the blank canvas bugs me?  I must get that leg and those hands started ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment